Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Jelly Pancake House - Yes another breakfast joint, but read on...

Okay, so we knew that the Ole' Mexican Food spot at 399 E. 81st Ave in Merrillville had numbered days due to the opening of Chipotle Mexican Grill in front of the Mall on Route 30. And sadly, they did close their doors a couple of months ago. We ate there a few times and the food was okay, but not really superior as compared to the tuned in offerings at the McDonald's owned Chipotle.

So as we drove by to get our morning bagel at Panera we wondered what might go into the end spot of the strip mall. We then noticed a sign reading: "Coming Soon, Jelly Pancake House!" What? A pancake restaurant located there? In the world of retail shops and Panera?

As we watched the remodeling going on we couldn't help but think of the close by House of Pancakes that recently closed. It was behind the Applebee's on 83rd Ave and Broadway also in Merrillville. So we wished the Jelly Pancake well as we saw the progress with the remodeling.

Jodi and I stopped in within days of the opening for breakfast. So what do you get at a pancake house, you guessed it, pancakes... and big 'ol fluffy ones at that! They were great! I also had sausage links and they were also prepared right and were very tasty. Our endless coffee was good and many waitresses and others were quick to keep the cups full. Although the menu called for only two cakes on a short stack, both of our orders had three stacked high on the plate. Okay, so I know you are thinking that anyone can make pancakes, right? Wrong... how many times have you had some flat, hard pancakes that would not even soak up the syrup? These were great...
As we ate our breakfast I noticed another table with fluffy omelettes... so I had already decided that I was coming back to try that in the future.

I met my buddy Steve there for lunch this week. I figured, here we go, now I will be able to see how this lunch menu works and really put them to the test. Steve ordered the ham club sandwich. And yours truely, you guessed it, got the Western Omelette. Breakfast for lunch? Sure... I like breakfast food anytime. Steve's sandwich was absolutely great... stacked high with meat, and the other typical items like lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, etc. It was all bundled nicely and held together with long picks. Served with fries, it was a hearty meal for sure.

My omelette, was made with four eggs, fluffed nicely and stuffed with ham, green peppers, onions and cheese. It also had a surprise, diced fresh tomatoes! The potatoes were wedges of B-Sized new red potatoes seasoned with salt/garlic. They were great! All ingredients were fresh! And me being the "Produce Guy" for 30-years can certainly tell freshness. My omlette was so large that I didn't even finish it! I know, right... it was stuffed full of ingredients. We both ordered a drink, me coffee, Steve had iced tea. Our total tab was just over $18.

Service was outstanding and our server was attentive, friendly and seemed to know her job well which is unusal for a new establishment. She often asked if we needed anything else since Steve and I tied up the table for some time, like two girls catching up about their boyfriends. Okay, so Steve and I had not been out in a while! The service however not amature hour at Jelly, the owners have served a few meals in their day and also own Gino's, both in Schererville and the new Gino's Steak and Seafood in Merrillville on Route 30 so they have a good grasp on customer service. "Hey, you hungry, I fix somthing"... oh so sorry! I can't help it!

Jelly Pancake House is open 7-days per week from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. If you go: dress casual, come hungry and leave very content. The food is excellent and these owners are there running their business. Like it should be! I will be going back to Jelly and I bet often. Plenty of parking is available to the south of the strip mall area as the regular lot seems to fill up pretty fast.

Jelly offers a full line of breakfast favorites and an nice variety of lunch items as well. Give it a try... you will be glad that you did.

399 E. 81st Ave, inside the Panera Bread strip mall (corner of U.S. Route 30 and Broadway), in Merrillville, Indiana (219-736-0100). Management is Steve Vlahos with other contacts being Martha Emmanoilidis and Nick Vlahos. "Nick, Nick, Nickie"... sorry I digressed. Four Fork rating from me, it would have been five, but I had to back off a little due to the limited menu and limited hours of operation... enjoy! Okay, I'll get into Gino's next!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Probably the best breakfast that I have ever eaten(sorry mom and grandma). Had the Spartan Omelette and could barely finish half. Took the rest to-go. I have never heard of anyone taking breakfast left overs, but when you see the size of these omelettes, you will see what I mean. Wife had the Hawaiian omelette. Sweet tooth lovers dream breakfast. Can't wait to go back.